Naruto is a short range unit with good attack and HP.
|Great single target nuker||Awakened+ version has no AoE attacks|
|Gets health regen after getting a few ability upgrades||Attack stat is average compared to other short range attackers|
|Has 25% Atk boost for allies + restore chakra|
|Good for PvP|
Naruto is a good short range unit with with good hp recovery and ability to ignore barriers. His jutsu can boost allies attack by 25%. His ultimate can hit around 26k normal and 40k bonus element.
#1 – Role and Overview
In theory, Blazing Awakening units should offer you two different 6★ options, each with their own perks – this is at the core of the “2 for 1 deal” that the mechanic entails, especially when talking about new units carrying it.
Sasuke’s implementation was done quite well in this regard (with each variant having its distinctive strengths), but there is one form when talking about the new Naruto that vastly outperforms the other – his OT state after the second awakening. Without going into unnecessary details, the initial 6★ for this unit is the definition of a “win-more” character, he’ll make your life easier in vs Body missions (where you already have a huge advantage, so who cares) and that’s about it – abysmal choice for PvP and around average in other PvE scenarios (mediocrity for the Skill Element in almost any context means death, this isn’t Heart or Body). Due to the undeniably big gap in power between the two versions, I’ve chosen to focus this post entirely on the only version of Naruto you should care about:
- OT Naruto is a DPS character who offers the best active healing for the Element.
Assuming you can’t afford any of his duplicates, you will only be able to use him for the DPS role in PvE & Assassin/Control role in PvP – but that’s already plenty. He offers a 5 Chakra jutsu that hits for almost 20k in PvPwhile also carrying an 80% chance to block your target from switching out (you’re either going to die from his jutsu or be dead soon enough regardless, there’s no escape after he locks you in for 6 turns). On the other hand, if you don’t particularly care for the Ninja World Clash, Naruto is the third ever unit to have the negate type disadvantage ailment on his secret – for 10 Chakra in PvE you’ll be able to do over 20k neutral damage, even though that’s significantly less than Madara’s Susanoo, it’s still a stupid amount of guaranteed damage in a matchup you should be disadvantaged in.
Video for the initial 6★ Naruto (whose existence I’m ignoring) – while I don’t see why people would ever use him, the animations are well done, especially the transformation – and another video for the second 6★ Naruto after his real awakening, both provided thanks to antonlab, as usual. I know a lot of the animations/models are “borrowed”, but there are still enough new things sprinkled in as well.
Now, let’s do the opposite and assume you can afford to drop some serious pearls / ability stones on this character – Naruto – if used on the field with an active sync skill – can heal you up to 475 per turn in his OT state. Even if you’d prefer to use him in the more “standard” (for this Element) 4 man team, that’s still 400 HP per turn for 0 Chakra – on and off the field. I remember how people lost their minds over a mediocre character – at best – who was healing for 200per turn, this Naruto is on another level, reaching almost Hidan heights of stupidity when it comes to sustain is the easiest way to secure your spot on a team in any Element. I’m certainly not suggesting that you release your dedicated healers i.e. Tsunade/Karin/Sakura into the void, but the new OT is going to complement them marvelously & allow you the option to play even more aggressively than before, instead of having to hold back your Chakra for safety.
Overall, a phenomenal addition to the game and Skill Element – something insanely difficult to achieve for this particularly stacked lineup.
#2 – Is Naruto a top 20 character for Skill?
Body didn’t put up much of a fight, however this Element is a different beast – in spite of his almost overwhelming power, Naruto only comes in at rank #3 in my current list. While due to his superiority in PvP he outranks Tsunade and Minato, the two units I kept above him comfortably retain their spots in my eyes.
Let’s take another look at the “standard” 4 man Skill team composition & how it work in PvE:
- Utakata x2 & Tsunade x2 – you survive the early game by using the two Slug Ninjas, mid game you AoE everything to hell with your Bubbles and late game you either faceroll with Utakata or boost up to 150% with Tsunade and end the game.
So where can Naruto fit in? While I would virtually always keep at least one copy of that duo in any circumstance, you can use any of the top 5 units on my list to adjust your setup depending on the mission or your playstyle, with a small caveat attached to that statement – Naruto can’t replace either Utakata or Sasori, because he can’t-do what they can, simple as that. The new OT is a passive unit – he will offer amazing support to your team and come out to play only when you arrive at the boss fight, meaning someone has to get you to that point.
Utakata ~ Fleeting Tranquility
- PvE – His range, AoE hitbox, Chakra regen, Slip, damage reduction and damage efficiency make retaining the #1 spot child’s play, he’s a So6P/Madara-level immovable object when it comes to ranking. There is only one unit I would consider swapping him with on a PvE team in a very specific scenario and the new OT isn’t it.
- PvP – Both Utakata and Naruto hold the Assassin role, each with their own perks and reasons to put on a team – or build one around them. If you had a gun to my head, I’d probably give the edge to OT in spite of him doing less damage (for his bullshit 15% dodge and the “lockdown” ability that’s almost always going to hit, not to mention having more health and speed) but I would still argue they’re pretty interchangeable power-wise here (in other words, I would get shot).
Sasori ~ Eternal Art
- PvE – Thanks to his phenomenal AoE jutsu, Heart enemies melt away just the same as everyone else when facing his iron sand and unlike Utakata, who needs time to get going & only then becomes unstoppable, Sasori is literally good to go from the start, secures you the game before it ever gets a chance to slip out of control and allows you to end it with style. Unless it wasn’t clear, this character is the solution to when the regular 4 man team isn’t strong enough to survive the start of the game and Naruto – with his short range and mediocre regular jutsu – simply can’t compete for this slot.
- PvP – Not really comparable because of fulfilling different roles, still Naruto is significantly faster and might be favored for that (as well as the switch-block which will be the bane of many players’ existence) but if you like to go “vanilla”, Sasori’s health is significantly higher and he does comparable damage – in an AoE – for the same amount of Chakra. It really comes down to preference and playstyle, both of them are phenomenal picks for this game mode.
With those two comfortably out of reach, all Naruto had left was trying to push Tsunade out of her spot – I’m not going to lie, if PvP didn’t exist Naruto wouldn’t be where he’s at (even with full duplicates) but due to his prowess in bothgame modes (while she is straight garbage for PvP) OT ironically claims another #3 rank to his name – with a unit which I would argue any day has a better kit/design than the original.
#3 – What’s his performance like in different game modes?
Arbitrary ranking ramblings aside, Naruto is a monster where it counts – the most difficult PvE missions and the PvP arena.
PvE – Emergency Missions, Impacts, Ninja Road, Phantom Castle
The Skill Element doesn’t want or need anyone’s help to dismantle both Body and Skill enemies, however it can be argued some cracks begin to show in their armor for certain missions when facing Heart – this is where Naruto comes in. While it’s hard to argue you’d want him on the field (with his short range and no damage reduction abilities) I still think this is one of the rare examples of a passive unit done right – Naruto supports his team with 400 HP per turn, 15% dodge for the character in front of him and comes out every time he has 10 Chakra to do 20k damage minimum to any target you choose. Quite straightforward placement in the S Tier for this game mode provided you have at least one ability activated.
Disclaimer: Ninja Road and Phantom Castle won’t be affecting my rankings or PvE Tier, but I’ll talk about them here regardless.
- Ninja Road – Naruto would actually be a very neat addition to a lot of boss killing teams but his lack of AoE, self-boosting ability and Chakra generation will keep him away from the top speedrun setups.
- Phantom Castle – The polite way of putting it would be to say this wasn’t what OT (either of them) wast meant for, relatively low damage single target jutsu for an average Chakra cost, he is very outclassed here.
PvP – Ninja World Clash
When I read what his jutsu did, I couldn’t get this scene out of my head.
Without the new ailment, Naruto might as well have been a Kid Kakashi “clone” in terms of what he provides to you – but thanks to his ability to block swaps and his Element, the new OT will secure a top spot on most teams.
While the Assassin and even to a degree Control roles are overcrowded, there is a very particular role that isn’t – Front Line units. The current almost-consensus #1 for that role is Haku, who dies to one Naruto jutsu straight up, no strings attached. Lets imagine for a second it’s a 99 Ultimate Haku and he can reduce the damage slightly i.e. what usually happens when you try to take care of him with Slip & Utakata – when Naruto locks him down, it almost doesn’t matter how much damage reduction he has, he’s still dead on your next attack, jutsu – anything – in other words, your prey is not getting away.
Just because I love it so much, here it is again – this is why I consider Naruto to easily be a top pick for PvP meta-wise and even if Haku wasn’t the king of Front Line units, Naruto’s dodge, swap block and spectacular amount of damage would be more than enough reason to make room for him on your team – S Tier.
#4 – Conclusion
Sasuke took advantage of an Element which is only recently starting to see great additions to its ranks, Naruto never stood a chance in comparison – his #3 rank (compared to CM2’s #1) isn’t a knock on him in the slightest, it’s just the definition of how broken the Skill Element’s lineup has gotten & keeps getting. The new OT is an extremely powerful pickup regardless of which primary game mode you care about and considering he’s sharing a banner with a unit that’s at worst equally as good, it’s very hard to argue you shouldn’t go for them this week.
Speaking of the Blazing Awakening banner – it consists of various discounts and only 7 steps, with an increased chance to get Sasuke and Naruto on the 5th and just one of them guaranteed at the end for a total of 295 pearls.
As an added bonus, on the 3rd step you get one of the following characters guaranteed:
- Tobirama – one of the best front line units for PvP, whose death after the nerfs has been greatly exaggerated.
- Mei – great AoE unit for PvE, with an upcoming LB that’s relatively “soon”, so she could get even better.
- Sasori – one of the best units in the entire game, stupidly good in both PvE and PvP.
- Kirin Sasuke – an underrated unit for PvP, but more importantly one of the few phenomenal Heart units in PvE.
I’m not going to lie, it’s a sweet deal and should bring a single tear to the eyes of F2P players across the globe – with Madara and/or Obito potentially around the corner in next month’s Blazing Fest, we have a hard decision ahead of us.
What are your thoughts on this character and his addition to the game?
Let me know in the comments below.
Stats / Character Cost
|Max Rarity||Element||Range||Max HP||Max ATK||Luck|
Field skills provide bonuses when Naruto Uzumaki is near the range of the character in combat.
|Rarity||Naruto Uzumaki's Field Skill|
|5★||Boosts ATK by 75 - 175|
|6★||Boosts ATK by 100 - 200|
Buddy skill is applied when Naruto Uzumaki is paired with the main attacker.
|Rarity||Naruto Uzumaki's Buddy Skill|
|5★||10% chance of dodging an attack|
|6★||15% chance of dodging an attack|
|Hidden Leaf||Sync with Skill - Boosts Attack by 100||Sync with Hidden Leaf - Restore 75 HP every turn||-|
- Reduces Body Damage
Reduces body damage by 10%
- Restore Health 100
Restores 100 HP every turn
- Reduces Body Damage
Reduces body damage by 10%
- Restore Health 100
Restores 100 HP every turn
- Ignore Barrier
Ignore barrier and does damage
Awaken to 6★, costs 28000 ryo